Barcelona fail to reach agreement with players over salary reduction
No agreement was reached between Barcelona and their players for a salary reduction in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Barcelona have failed to reach an agreement with players over a salary reduction.
The LaLiga giants are seeking to reduce their wage bill amid a "serious financial problem" due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Barça say covid-19 has caused a reduction in revenues of more than €300million for the 2020-21 season, with the club requiring a salary adjustment of €191m.
But talks between Barça and representatives of the players – and a group of corporate workers – ended on Wednesday without an agreement.
"Today, November 11, after several days of intense meetings, and the negotiation was exhausted, the parties have ended the consultation period without reaching an agreement," part of a statement from the club read.
The statement said parties had given themselves a deadline of November 23 to consider whether a deal can be struck.
Reports have suggested Barça want to cut the wages of their top earners, including Lionel Messi, by 30 per cent.
Barça are believed to have one of the highest wage bills in Europe, and the likes of Luis Suárez, Ivan Rakitic and Arturo Vidal left the club in the close season.
Ronald Koeman's side are eighth in LaLiga, nine points adrift of leaders Real Sociedad but having played two fewer games.
Te recomendamos en English
- coronavirus What travel recommendations have the CDC established for Thanksgiving?
- NBA LeBron James' Los Angeles Lakers set to sign Marc Gasol – reports
- BOXING Tyson vs Jones Jr: Two boxing legends and the shock defeats in their storied careers
- LIGA MX There will be a Clásico Nacional in both Women’s and Men’s playoffs in the Liga MX
- LIGA MX Four key matchups to be aware for the quarter-finals in the Liga MX
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Messi is an extravagance which Barça can no longer afford