Man City: Algeria boss backs disappointed Mahrez after Liverpool omission
Djamel Belmadi says Algerian star Riyadh Mahrez was disappointed not to participate in the Man City game against Liverpool.
Algeria coach Djamel Belmadi believes that Pep Guardiola should have played Riyadh Mahrez in Manchester City's 1-1 Premier League draw with Liverpool last Sunday, noting that the Algerian winger was hugely disappointed not to participate in such a big game.
In statements published on the Algerian Football Federation website on Thursday, Belmadi said: "Mahrez's situation at Man City is not worrying at all, he has played so many games, almost all of them. We were waiting for him to participate in such a big game in England and deliver an impressive performance.
Belmadi: Mahrez has the mentality to get over career difficulties
"Unfortunately this kind of difficulty is part of a football player's career, he has to face such circumstances and remains strong. We shouldn't make a big deal out of it although I know that Riyadh loves football so much," the Algerian coach added.
Les Fennecs are Ready ⭐⭐— Les Verts d'Algérie (@LesVerts) November 12, 2020
Introducing the new official @lesverts Home Jersey for the 2020/21 season.
Available at DZ Fan Store - https://t.co/GxcNgPK89K, as well as selected adidas stores and retailers from 15th Dec. #ReadyForSport
#LesFennecs #TeamDZ #adidasFootball pic.twitter.com/3uPdbAQO0F
Belmadi also mentioned that Algeria's captain is now completely focused on his Algeria duties. "Mahrez has a strong character, he is now focused on the national team as he wants to give his best," he said. "I wish him and his team-mates the best of luck".
Algeria are set to face Zimbabwe on Thursday night in the third round of Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 stimulus check updates today: third payment, dates, eligibility, Biden, negotiation, live
- CORONAVIRUS Third stimulus check update: $1,400 payment in Biden relief proposal
- REAL MADRID UK media suggest Bale set for Madrid return next season
- CLUB WORLD CUP Auckland City withdraw from Club World Cup over covid measures
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why do Manchester United get so many penalties? Rashford points to Mourinho advice
- NBA Why is Kyrie Irivng currently absent from the Brooklyn Nets?