Mbappé: Real Madrid pursuit of PSG star reaches crucial stage
PSG are set to step up their efforts to get Kylian Mbappé to renew. If he doesn't, Real Madrid are confident of signing him for a reasonable price next summer.
Real Madrid’s pursuit of Kylian Mbappé is entering a key period, judging by Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo’s recent comments in which he confirmed that the Ligue 1 giants are stepping up their efforts to tie down a group of players, including Mbappé, to new deals.
Real Madrid set to find out if Mbappé waiting game will bear fruit
“We’ve started talks on several fronts over the renewal of certain players,” Leonardo told a Q&A session on social media this week. “We have to adapt to the reality of the current economic climate, but we have started discussions over the renewals we have in mind - [Ángel] Di María, Neymar and Mbappé, as well as [Juan] Bernat and [Julian] Draxler - and we’re going to intensify these negotiations in the coming days.”
These are therefore crucial moments for Madrid, who will find out for certain whether the strategy they have been following in their bid to sign Mbappé is to bear fruit.
The club have been playing a waiting game that depends on the 21-year-old resisting PSG’s attempts to extend his current contract, which runs out in June 2022. AS understands that Mbappé has rejected as many as three offers from the Parisians.
Real Madrid expect to get Mbappé for 180m next summer - if he doesn't renew at PSG
Now, it appears, PSG are going to throw everything at persuading the star to commit. If he doesn’t, Madrid are confident they’ll be able to snap him up for a reasonable price next summer, when PSG would be under pressure to sell to avoid losing him for free 12 months later. Los Blancos estimate that fee would be about 180m euros.
Mbappé could yet sign new PSG deal with Real Madrid release clause
Mbappé’s only doubts about not renewing at PSG surfaced in the wake of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic, which forced football to temporarily shut down. At that point, the player’s camp began to question the wisdom of running his deal down, given that a longer contract would offer him greater security.
AS was told that Mbappé would only be willing to pen a new agreement with PSG if it included a clause allowing him to depart for certain clubs for a set amount. That would be a problem for Madrid, as this fee would likely be higher than the price they’re aiming to pay.
Such a deal between Mbappé and PSG remains a possibility, given that it could be a good solution for both club (who would be assured of keeping hold of the striker or banking a healthy transfer fee) and player (who would have greater security were he to suffer a long-term injury, for example).
Te recomendamos en English
- CHELSEA-REAL MADRID Chelsea - Real Madrid: possible starting line-ups for the Champions League
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE What are Christian Pulisic's Champions League stats and records?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Chelsea 2-0 Real Madrid (3-1 agg): result, goals, summary: Champions League 2020/21
- BOXING What is Floyd Mayweather’s net worth?
- 2021 TAX FILING Biden tax plan calculator: how could your taxes and credits change?
- CORONAVIRUS US Pfizer/BioNtech covid-19 vaccine for kids: ages, who can get and when?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE How many Champions League finals have Chelsea played in?
- BOXING What is Logan Paul's net worth?
- NFL Brett Farve thinks Rodgers time in Green Bay may be coming to an end
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Will the fourth stimulus check be approved? Can it still happen in May?
- Cornoavirus When will kids under 12 be able to receive a covid-19 vaccine?