Henderson and Sterling withdraw from England squad
England pair Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling are carrying knocks and have been sent back to Liverpool and Manchester City respectively.
Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling have returned to their respective clubs to undergo further assessment after withdrawing from the England squad through injury. Liverpool captain Henderson was replaced in the second half of England's 2-0 defeat to Belgium on Sunday with what manager Gareth Southgate described as "a bit of tightness". Manchester City forward Sterling played no part in the Belgium game because of a "small niggle" picked up in training. Both players have been ruled out of Wednesday's Nations League clash with Iceland and Southgate has decided against calling up any replacements.
"Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling will miss England's forthcoming UEFA Nations League fixture against Iceland," an England statement read on Monday. "The pair have returned to their respective clubs for further assessment. Gareth Southgate will continue his preparations for Wednesday with a 22-man squad."
2 - England have lost back-to-back competitive internationals for the first time since losing three in a row from July to September 2018, a run that also included a defeat to Belgium. Levels. pic.twitter.com/y9znDqAzb2— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) November 15, 2020
Chilwell still with the squad
Ben Chilwell also left the field early against Belgium with a back problem but remains part of Southgate's squad for the Iceland match at Wembley.
England can no longer finish top of Group A2 with one game to play and are safe from relegation, leaving them in a direct battle for second with Denmark, who are three points better off and could still qualify for the Finals with a win over Belgium.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | Will it arrive in March & IRS tax return | Live
- 2030 WORLD CUP Johnson backs UK bid for 2030 World Cup, offers stadiums for Euro 2020
- SERIE A The things that Georgina prohibits Cristiano from doing at home
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT OF 2021 Third stimulus check: when is it coming in March?
- BARCELONA FC Barcelona cleared from Barçagate, Bartomeu provisionally released
- NBA NBA: Harden triple-double leads Nets to win, Zion stuns Jazz