France awarded 28-0 win over Fiji in Autumn Nations Cup
After the cancellation of the Autumn Nations Cup clash between France and Fiji due to covid-19, Fabien Galthie's men have been awarded the victory.
France have been awarded a 28-0 bonus-point win over Fiji in the Autumn Nations Cup after their match was called off due to coronavirus complications.
The two teams had been set to meet in Vannes last Sunday in the new tournament, a replacement for the scrapped autumn internationals due to the global pandemic.
Three days before the game, Fiji revealed two members of their travelling party had tested positive for covid-19 and the contest was cancelled the following day when a further four cases affecting close contacts in the squad were reported.
Fiji contest with Italy in doubt
Fiji's match with Italy in round two - set to take place in Ancona on Saturday – remains under review, with a decision likely after additional rounds of testing.
"Whilst no fault has been apportioned to Fiji Rugby, the competition rules provide that if a team is primarily responsible for a match not taking place, a 28-0 victory will be awarded to the opposition that could have played the match," Six Nations Rugby, who are organising the competition, said in a statement.
"We wish the affected Fiji players well as they continue their recovery and are working closely with the Fiji team, to ensure that they are able to field a competitive team against Italy."
France will belatedly play their first match when they face Scotland at Murrayfield on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- European Super League Juventus still keen on breakaway league as AC Milan withdraw
- BARCELONA Aguero places Messi clause on Barcelona move
- European Super League Atletico squad release European Super League statement
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE The dramatic rise and swift fall of Europe's Super League
- Murder of George Floyd What did Biden say about Chauvin's guilty verdict for murder of George Floyd
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check: will it be approved and sent in May?