Lionel Messi's response after Argentina overcome Peru
After a win over Peru in Lima, Lionel Messi hailed Argentina's growth.
Lionel Messi praised Argentina's performance against Peru and believes they are only getting stronger.
Messi: "We're becoming stronger"
Nicolas Gonzalez and Lautaro Martinez scored first-half goals in Lima on Tuesday, lifting Lionel Scaloni's men to a third win in four World Cup 2022 qualifiers.
Argentina extended their unbeaten run to 11 games, while they have won their past three away qualifiers – something they had not achieved since 2000.
Messi was pleased with Argentina's display, which came five days after their draw at home to Paraguay.
"Happy with the victory, we needed it after the game we played the other day," the star said, via Argentina's Twitter account.
"From the beginning we had a great match, the goals came and we created many, many chances."
Messi added: "The second half the other day was already very good and I think we continued on the same line, even raising the level a bit.
#Eliminatorias Lionel Messi: "Siempre que vengo acá intento dar el máximo y me siento capacitado para pelear por esta camiseta. Me siento bien como para seguir trabajando y sumando partidos". pic.twitter.com/XOHkcS3qJH— Selección Argentina (@Argentina) November 18, 2020
"I think this is the way we have to follow. Little by little we are becoming stronger as a group."
Messi made his 142nd Argentina appearance against Peru, joining Brazil great Cafu for the equal fifth most by a South American man.
The six-time Ballon d'Or winner wants to continue contributing for Argentina, who won in Peru for the first time since 2004.
"Whenever I come here I try to do my best and I feel qualified to fight for this shirt," Messi said.
"I feel good to continue working and adding games."
Te recomendamos en English
- Entertainment Golden Globes 2021: hosts, presenters and special guests
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus Check: is it necessary to live in the US to be eligible for payment?
- GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS Golden Globes 2021: times, TV and how and where to watch online
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? New $3000 child tax credit: live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: when will the proposal be voted on in the Senate?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: who voted in favour in the House of Representatives?