Bilardo's television turned off so he wouldn't find out about Maradona's death
Legendary coach Carlos Bilardo won the World Cup with Argentina and Maradona: "For Carlos, Diego was like the son he never had", says his brother Jorge.
The world football community is still reeling from the news of Diego Armando Maradona's death. One of those who was closest to the player was former coach Carlos Bilardo, who guided Argentina to glory at the World Cup in Mexico in 1986. Jorge Bilardo, his brother, explained that when the news broke, the family had to turn the television off so that Carlos wouldn't hear the tragic news second hand as they knew he would take it badly.
Maradona's death for the Bilardo family
"I was surprised to hear about Diego dying. Maradona was always a very difficult patient. He was a wonderful guy, the best".
Carlos Bilardo and breaking news about Maradona
"I had already turned Carlos' television off, because we didn't want him to find out about Diego's death that way - he loved him so much and that would hurt him. For Carlos, Diego was the son he never had. He stood up for him on so many occasions, and took him wherever he worked".
The day when Bilardo made Maradona captain
"When Carlos told Diego he would be Argentina captain, he just mentioned it casually and left the room. Diego was sat there crying with emotion"
"Diego's mother and father were amazing. Diego was always very humble when he was with them. ¡He helped so many people! Here and in Italy. Few people really know how much Diego did for so many people. The problem is in Argentina, they kill their idols".
Te recomendamos en English
- Boxing What weight class did Floyd Mayweather fight in during his professional career?
- US NEWS Who is Elise Stefanik, Liz Cheney's replacement in Republican Party leadership?
- NBA NBA Play-In 2021: which players and coaches are in favor of the new format?
- CORONAVIRUS US How to prove you are vaccinated to go without a mask under CDC guidelines
- US News What is the difference between Armed Forces Day and Veterans Day?
- Why is NBA doing a play-in and not a traditional playoff format?