Roma bomb scare: WWII devices found at training ground
Roma's preparations to start work on a new training pitch at the club's Trigoria headquarters have been delayed after 20 unexploded bombs were dug up.
Roma have revealed the Italian army's bomb squad was called to their training ground following the discovery of Second World War explosive devices at the facility.
The alarming find at the club's Trigoria headquarters occurred this week, with local media reporting around 20 bombs were found by a technician who was beginning the groundwork for putting in a new pitch.
"I was there to build a football field," the unnamed technician told police, according to newspaper Il Messaggero. "I never imagined finding myself digging a few centimetres from the bombs."
He reportedly said he noticed "pieces of iron coming out of the ground", adding: "I am not an expert in warfare, but I thought they could be bombs and, therefore, I asked for help. I was afraid."
Roma thank Italian army's bomb squad
Well, this doesn't happen every day...— AS Roma English (@ASRomaEN) November 28, 2020
A big thank you to the Italian army and their bomb squad, after they safely and successfully removed a number of devices dating back to the Second World War from the club’s training centre at Trigoria this week! #ASRoma pic.twitter.com/8HDiURbxTe
Roma confirmed the dramatic situation on Saturday, stating on Twitter: "A big thank you to the Italian army and their bomb squad, after they safely and successfully removed a number of devices dating back to the Second World War from the club's training centre at Trigoria this week."
The club published a picture that showed a line of small bombs that had been brought up from below ground.
Il Messaggero reported all activity at the training base was stopped when the discovery was made. Three bombs were said to have been found initially and fire brigade experts identified them, resulting in the call for bomb defusal experts and the uncovering of further explosives.
Roma travel to face Napoli in Serie A on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos reaching contract crossroads
- SUPER LEAGUE Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus face sanctions as UEFA reaches deal with other Super League clubs
- NFL Why does Aaron Rodgers want to leave the Green Bay Packers, and what could be his next possible NFL team?
- Coronavirus US How many people have died from the covid vaccine in the US?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS When will SSI recipients receive the Golden State Stimulus?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES Sinopharm vaccine: efficacy, dose, stock and differences with Pfizer, Sinovac, Moderna, Janssen...