Messi's tribute to Maradona "a beautiful surprise" to teammates
Speaking after Barcelona's impressive 4-0 win against Osasuna on Sunday, Antoine Griezmann and Philippe Coutinho spoke about Lionel Messi's moving tribute to Diego Maradona.
Lionel Messi paid tribute to Diego Maradona on Sunday with a goal celebration that came as a "beautiful surprise" to his Barcelona teammates.
Former Barça and Argentina great Maradona died on Wednesday at the age of 60 and has been honoured before all LaLiga matches over the weekend.
Messi scored his side's fourth goal in the 4-0 win over Osasuna and afterwards removed his Barça shirt to reveal a Newell's Old Boys jersey emblazoned with Maradona's famous number 10.
He then pointedly saluted the sky in honour of his compatriot, who spent a season at Newell's - the club where Messi began his youth career.
Antoine Griezmann and Philippe Coutinho each got a goal in Barça's comfortable victory, along with striker Martin Braithwaite, who opened the scoring in the first half.
They described afterwards how they were not aware of what Messi was planning on a moving day at Camp Nou, where Maradona played from 1982 to 1984.
"We lost Maradona, a global idol, we all miss him," Coutinho said.
"We didn't know what Messi had prepared to honour Maradona," added Griezmann. "It was a beautiful surprise."
Newell's responded through their English Twitter account, saying: "It's all about number 10. The best player in the world and his tribute to #D10S."
Barça's victory moved them into eighth in the table, for a few hours at least, nine points behind leaders Real Sociedad and Atlético Madrid in second.
Te recomendamos en English
- European championship Zlatan Ibrahimovic back in Sweden team for World Cup qualifiers
- NBA Jazz stars Mitchell and Gobert fined by NBA after outbursts
- REAL MADRID | BENZEMA Benzema: "My life has changed..."
- NFL Eagles' Jason Kelce holds off retirement to return for 2021 season
- NBA All-Star Game Jazz's Conley earns NBA All-Star selection to replace Booker
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, Senate votation, status and IRS tax