Champions League: Mbappé breaks Messi's record
Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappé became the youngest player to score 20 Champions League goals, beating Lionel Messi's record.
Kylian Mbappé broke a Champions League record held by Lionel Messi as he netted Paris Saint-Germain's third goal against Istanbul Basaksehir.
A double from Neymar put PSG in command of a tie being completed on Wednesday after it was abandoned in the 14th minute on Tuesday following accusations that a fourth official had racially abused Istanbul assistant Pierre Webó.
Mbappé becomes youngest player to net 20 times in Champions League
Mbappé made it 3-0 from the penalty spot after Neymar had been brought down, ending a wait for a Champions League goal that stretched back to December 11 last year.
21y 355d - Kylian Mbappé has now scored 20 goals in the UEFA Champions League, becoming the youngest player in the competition's history to reach this goal tally. Phenomenon. pic.twitter.com/9w98vuphmP— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) December 9, 2020
The strike also saw him become the youngest player to reach 20 goals in the competition at 21 years and 355 days, surpassing Messi, who reached the tally at the age of 22 years and 266 days.
Neymar brings up 40 Champions League goals
Meanwhile, Neymar – who completed his hat-trick in the second half – reached 40 Champions League goals with his second, doing so in 65 games. Ruud van Nistelrooy (45 games), Messi and Robert Lewandowski (both 61 games) are the only players to do so in quicker time.
Mbappé doubled his tally after the visitors pulled one back, as PSG – who were already through to the last 16 following Manchester United's defeat to RB Leipzig on Tuesday – sealed top spot in Group H.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Happy Mother’s Day: Quotes, memes, messages, and more to help celebrate
- World News Chinese Rocket: when and where will it fall to earth?
- US News Fourth stimulus check: What are Biden's economic proposals according to the unemployment report?
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: times, TV & how to watch online
- PREMIER LEAGUE Guardiola fumes at officials as City pay penalty against Chelsea
- US NEWS Third stimulus checks: how many payments were made in the last batch?