Griezmann parts ways with sponsor Huawei over Uyghur accusations
Griezmann explained that he has parted ways with long-time sponsor Huawei for their alleged involvement in the design of a device that helped the Chinese government to identify members of the Uyghur ethnic minority group.
Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann has announced that he is parting ways with his long-time sponsor Huawei, owing to the Chinese company's alleged involvement in contributing to the development of a 'Uyghur Alert' through facial recognition software to aid the repression of the Uyghur community by the Chinese government.
The France international posted a statement on Instagram explaining his move.
“I am taking this opportunity to invite Huawei to not just be happy with denying these accusations but to implement action as quickly as possible to condemn this mass persecution and use its influence to contribute to respecting rights of men and women throughout society.”
The Washington Post revealed that the tech brand had collaborated with the Chinese government in 2018 to develop a facial identifier that would help camera devices locate members of the Uyghur ethnic group, who live primarily in northwest China.
Te recomendamos en English
- European championship Zlatan Ibrahimovic back in Sweden team for World Cup qualifiers
- NBA Jazz stars Mitchell and Gobert fined by NBA after outbursts
- REAL MADRID | BENZEMA Benzema: "My life has changed..."
- NFL Eagles' Jason Kelce holds off retirement to return for 2021 season
- NBA All-Star Game Jazz's Conley earns NBA All-Star selection to replace Booker
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, Senate votation, status and IRS tax