Neymar escapes serious injury
Preliminary tests have confirmed that Neymar has not suffered a broken ankle and will not have to undergo surgery after Mendes tackle in Lyon win.
PSG forward Neymar has escaped serious injury after a tackle from Thiago Mendes saw the 28-year-old stretchered off as Thomas Tuchel’s side were beaten 1-0 by Lyon on Sunday. Initially PSG had feared the worst for their Brazilian star ahead of a Champions League match-up against his former club Barcelona following Monday’s draw, but Le Parisien reports that Neymar’s injury is not that serious after all.
After undergoing a series of tests early on Monday, it has been confirmed that Neymar has not suffered a broken ankle and will not have to undergo surgery. However, it should be noted that the preliminary tests are not conclusive and Neymar will be checked over again on Tuesday to assess the extent of the damage.
Neymar should be available for Barcelona tie
The news that Neymar will theoretically not be out for an extended period of time will be music to Tuchel’s ears as PSG chase Lyon and Lille in Ligue 1 and seek to advance in the Champions League at the expense of Barcelona. The Brazilian has suffered two metatarsal fractures while in Paris and missed decisive games in European competition in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons before helping PSG to the final last season.
The former Barcelona forward was on the other side of the pitch the last time PSG and Barcelona met in the Champions League and was the catalyst for one of the most famous comebacks of all time as Luis Enrique’s side overturned a 4-0 deficit from the first leg in Paris to win 6-1 at Camp Nou.
Te recomendamos en English
- Liverpool Klopp: Mbappe, Haaland will think twice if Liverpool can't offer Champions League football
- CSL Chinese Super League counts the cost of the boom years
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid, Liverpool and Juve keen on Lyon's Houssem Aouar
- NBA NBA All-Star weekend: who were the Hall of Famers in 2020?
- CORONAVIRUS Biden criticises “Neanderthal” decision to remove mask mandates
- COPA DEL REY Barcelona vs Sevilla: result, summary and goals