Manchester United's Cavani charged by FA over social-media post
Striker Edinson Cavani has apologised for his Instagram message, with Manchester United insisting there was no "malicious intent" on the Uruguayan's part.
The Football Association (FA) has charged Edinson Cavani with misconduct after a social-media post in which the Manchester United striker used language that could be deemed racially insensitive.
Cavani posted a message in response to an Instagram story from a friend after United's 3-2 win over Southampton on 29 November , in which he scored twice.
Uruguay international Cavani used a Spanish phrase in the post, which was later deleted after he was told of its potential to cause offence.
FA charges Cavani with bringing game into "disrepute" over social-media post
The FA opened an investigation and on Thursday announced the 33-year-old had been charged with bringing the game into "disrepute". It could lead to a ban if Cavani is found guilty of the charge.
An FA statement read: "It is alleged that, contrary to FA rule E3.1, a comment posted on the Manchester United player's Instagram page was insulting and/or abusive and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.
"It is further alleged that the comment constitutes an 'aggravated breach', which is defined in FA rule E3.2, as it included reference, whether express or implied, to colour and/or race and/or ethnic origin."
Edinson Cavani has been charged with misconduct for a breach of FA Rule E3 in relation to a social media post on Thursday 29 November 2020. Full statement: https://t.co/zMejmGck0h. pic.twitter.com/w2s6HTWy8c— FA Spokesperson (@FAspokesperson) December 17, 2020
"Absolutely no malicious intent" in Cavani's post, say Manchester United
United have reiterated their earlier stance that there was no "malicious intent" behind Cavani's message.
The club said in a statement: "Manchester United and all of our players are fully committed to the fight against racism and we will continue to work with the FA – along with other governing bodies and organisations, and through our own campaigns – in that regard.
"We note the FA decision today to charge Edinson Cavani for his social media reply to a friend's message of congratulations, following the Southampton game.
"Edinson and the club were clear that there was absolutely no malicious intent behind the message, which he deleted and apologised for, as soon as he was informed that it could have been misconstrued.
"The player and the club will now consider the charge and respond to the FA accordingly."
The former Paris Saint-Germain striker, who has scored three goals in 10 appearances across all competitions since he joined United on a free transfer in October, has until 4 January to respond to the charge.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win