Messi reacts after breaking Pelé one-club record
Lionel Messi reacted to breaking Pelé's long-standing record on Tuesday, one that most people never thought could be done.
Lionel Messi reminisced on breaking Pelé's record as the Barcelona superstar insisted his latest achievement exceeded his wildest dreams.
Messi breaks Pelé's one-club record
Messi set a new one-club goals record after netting for the 644th time – the Barça captain surpassing Pelé's haul in Tuesday's 3-0 LaLiga victory at Real Valladolid.
Six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi, who matched Pelé against Valencia on Saturday, scored his 451st LaLiga goal as Barca eased past Valladolid.
Messi used social media to react to the historic feat after Pelé had tallied 643 goals in an 18-year career at Brazilian club Santos.
"When I started playing football, I never thought I would break any records," Messi wrote on Instagram. "And even less the one that I achieved today that @pele had...
"I can only thank everyone who helped me over the years, my team-mates, my family, my friends and everyone who supports me every day. Hug!!"
Messi's 644 goals have come across 17 seasons and 749 games for Barça, where the 33-year-old debuted in 2004.
His effort against Valencia made Messi the first player to reach the 450 milestone for a single club in any of Europe's top five leagues.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Aubameyang out of hospital and feeling good after malaria diagnosis - Arteta
- FOOTBALL Pogba unable to explain 'strange' relationship with Mourinho
- NBA Warriors rookie Wiseman undergoes season-ending knee surgery
- TAX SEASON 2021 Why is my tax return still being processed?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci statements, my turn...