Barcelona: Coutinho to undergo surgery to repair torn meniscus
The Brazilian suffered "damage to the external meniscus in his left knee" during Monday's league meeting with Eibar, and will require surgery.
Barcelona worst fears were confirmed this morning after Philippe Coutinho had undergone a resonance scan on his injured left knee. Just as AS reported, the midfielder has suffered damage to the external meniscus, but today's tests revealed a more stark prognosis - the meniscus has completely ruptured which means that the player will require a trip to the operating table.
The recovery period will be determined after surgery but judging by similar cases, Coutinho can expect to be out for around four months - much of that will depend on how his rehabilitation goes but it is safe to assume that he will miss the rest of the season. According to Doctor José González, a columnist at AS, "The internal meniscus takes between a month and a half to two month to heal but the external meniscus, the one which Coutinho has torn, except in extreme circumstances, like Luis Suárez for example, could take three months or longer. If the meniscus needs to be stitched, then we are looking at four months".
The operation will be supervised by Doctor Ramon Cugat and his team, who performed a similar procedure on Ansu Fati earlier this season, although that was to repair the internal meniscus.
Barcelona's injured stars
Coutinho hasn't had the best of luck since his return to Barcelona - this season, he suffered a tear to his left hamstring which kept him out for almost a month. This latest injury is even more serious, and means he joins Ansu Fati, Gerard Piqué and Sergi Roberto on the list of long-term casualties. Sergi Roberto is expected to be the first to return - he fell injured at the end of November and was given an estimated recovery time of two months so he could be back by late January.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, stimulus calculator | Live
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: what is the Californian strain; is it more dangerous and contagious?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: how you might save $3,100 in taxes with the new payment?
- US News Why has Biden rescinded the Trump’s apprenticeship program?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: can the payment be approved in the House vote on Friday?
- GAMING PlayStation State of Play February: times, stream and how to watch for new PS4 & PS5 games