Zidane will not rest Benzema, Hazard to be eased back
Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane will not give a break to Karim Benzema as Eden Hazard continues to build up his fitness.
Zinedine Zidane has no plans to rest Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema as he vowed slowly ease Eden Hazard back to full match fitness.
Benzema failed to register a single shot on goal in Madrid's 2-0 win over Celta Vigo in LaLiga on Saturday and twice missed the target from good positions. The 33-year-old has started 15 of Madrid's 17 LaLiga matches this season and only goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois and Raphael Varane have played more minutes.
When asked in a post-match media conference if Benzema, who has scored eight goals in LaLiga, needed a break, following a slightly jaded showing, Zidane disagreed. "I don’t think he’s tired," Zidane said. "I think he did well and I took him off so that another player could play. We’re in a great spell. We’re doing the right things and we have to continue like this."
Hazard came off the bench for another run out late in the second half against Celta as he stepped up his return from an injury-hit start to the season. "We are going to go little by little," added Zidane. "Little by little, you have to recover feelings. We have to take it slowly and not force anything. He has to get back to his best and take it slowly. That’s all it is."
Madrid's possession against Celta was 41 per cent which was the lowest recorded in a win under Zidane at home in all competitions. The Madrid coach was, however, satisfied with the manner in which his side were able to manage the game against Celta. "We played a complete game from the beginning to the end," he explained. "We controlled the game well, we had a good balance, when it came to pressing up and getting the ball back, we did everything well. You have to control when the rival team has strong moments in the game, but the feelings are good, out of nine games we won six and three draws."
Goals from Lucas Vazquez and Marco Asensio gave Madrid the victory as the pair assisted each other for the fourth time this season. Zidane added: "I am happy for Asensio. He has had a major injury and now he is much better and improving every time. Vazquez is very reliable, very involved and I am happy for what he is doing. We played a very serious game. I'm happy for everyone."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times