Listless Liverpool crushed by Danny Ings lob
Liverpool dropped points on Monday as former player Danny Ings scored an early opener for Southampton to pile more misery on the Premier League leaders.
A superb second-minute lob by Danny Ings against his former club gave Southampton a surprise 1-0 home win over Premier League leaders Liverpool, with the Reds' attack looking rudderless as they were held scoreless for the second game in a row.
Ings, who joined Southampton on loan from Liverpool in 2018 before making the transfer permanent a year later, gave his side the lead as he latched on to James Ward-Prowse's free kick before sending a deft left-footed lob over Alisson into the net.
Liverpool, who drew 0-0 at Newcastle United, did not manage a single shot on target in the opening 45 minutes but then dominated the second half. However, a concerted effort by the massed ranks of Southampton's defence kept them out.
The victory lifts Southampton to sixth in the table on 29 points, behind Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea on goal difference, while Liverpool stay top on 33 points ahead of Manchester United, who have a game in hand, on goal difference.
Te recomendamos en English
- Football Real Madrid, Barça and Juventus issue joint statement denouncing 'threats'
- REAL MADRID Ramos out of crucial Real Madrid match against Sevilla
- LALIGA When was Barcelona's last defeat to Atlético Madrid at Camp Nou?
- Premier League Leeds United vs Tottenham: Premier League live
- BARCELONA Barcelona attempt to sign De Ligt for a second time
- 2022 World Cup Five key sustainability features connected with Qatar 2022