Barça record three wins on the bounce for first time this season
Ronald Koeman seems to have finally found his feet, with three consecutive wins all away from home: Huesca (0-1), Athletic (2-3) and Granada (0-4).
Ronald Koeman's Barcelona swept past Granada on Saturday night, in a convincing win thanks to braces from Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann. For the first time this season, the Blaugrana outfit recorded three consecutive wins, all coming away from home: Huesca (0-1), Athletic (2-3) and Granada (0-4).
The Catalan club have accumulated 17 points from a possible 21 since the defeat against Cádiz (2-1) on December 5.
The side have been boosted by Leo Messi's return to form, the explosion of wonderkid Pedri, and a more mature looking Ousmane Dembélé. Griezmann's desire to vindicate himself and the power of Frenkie De Jong from central midfield have also been instrumental factors in pushing Barça up the league table.
Late title push
Koeman's charges suddenly appear capable of mounting a late title challenge, when just a month ago, fans of the club would have been content to qualify for a Champions League place.
The round of 16 tie against PSG in the Champions League, which was seen as an almost insurmountable task, is now presented as a great opportunity, and even more so when players like Ansu Fati and Gerard Piqué, could be fit to return to the side.
As for LaLiga, the difference with the league leaders has been cut to only four points, although Atlético Madrid have played three games fewer than the Blaugrana.
Spanish Super Cup
Koeman now leads his team out for what could be their first title of the season, when Barça take on Real Sociedad in the Spanish Super Cup. The semi-final against the Basque club on January 13 is seen as the ideal opportunity to show everyone that Barcelona are back.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA Gymnastics Women's Team Finals: participants, format, scoring
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Simone Biles’ family life: who are her parents and boyfriend?
- OLYMPICS | GYMNASTICS What is Simone Biles' net worth?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?