Real Madrid put Camavinga operation on the back burner
The Spanish club have contacted the midfielder's representatives to explain that they would prefer to wait to see how the pandemic develops.
Eduardo Camavinga is the player who Zidane has in mind to strengthen Real Madrid's midfield next season. The coach thinks that the young French-Angolan would be the ideal player to compliment Casemiro in the centre of the park. Contacts between the player's representatives and Real Madrid began month ago but the operation has been put on hold until April at the earliest, Diario AS understands. Madrid are keen to hang fire and wait to see how the pandemic evolves and also how far the team progresses in the Champions League so that they will have a clearer idea of their budget during the first few months of 2021 before taking the Camavinga operation further. The return of fans to the Bernabéu for the team's matches will be key in boosting income.
Rennes priced Camavinga at 70 million euros last season but there is no way that Madrid would be willing to pay such an amount - especially for a player who will be out of contract in 2022. And since then, the teenager's performance levels have dropped considerably from when he first started catching the eye of Europe's top clubs. Madrid are not the only ones who are following his situation - PSG, Bayern Munich and Juventus are also keeping a close eye on his progress.
Barnett link for Camavinga
Curiously, someone who could play a key role in the operation to bring Camavinga to Madrid is his agent, Jonathan Barnett. Barnett is well-known to the club and Madrid fans as he also represents Gareth Bale and is the president of Stellar Group. He recently told L’Équipe when asked about Madrid's interest in Camavinga: "We have an excellent relationship with Real Madrid. Ask them..."
Camavinga has made 20 appearances this season, scoring one goal and has a couple of assists. He has missed four games for Rennes through injury.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times