Barcelona: Messi fined for Maradona homage
The Spanish Football Federation's disciplinary committee handed Leo Messi and Barcelona fines for the Argentinean's tribute to Diego Maradona.
The Spanish Football Federation's disciplinary committee has handed out fines to Leo Messi and FC Barcelona for the Argentinean’s tribute to Diego Maradona during Barça’s 4-0 victory over Osasuna in November.
Maradona passed away on 25 November and Messi decided to honour his former Argentina manager and national icon by pulling off his Barça shirt after scoring against Osasuna to reveal a Newell’s jersey with Maradona’s number 10 on the back.
Barcelona's Messi appeal rejected
The RFEF appeals committee on Thursday upheld the decision of the disciplinary committee from 2 December for the yellow card Messi was shown in Camp Nou to stand and also fined the player €600, while also handing down a fine of €180 to Barcelona.
The Liga giants had appealed against the yellow card given the exceptional circumstances of Maradona’s death and Messi’s relationship with the former Barcelona and Newell’s attacking midfielder.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician
- NBA Dallas' Doncic on game-winning three-pointer: "Those are the best feelings ever"
- US NEWS A new proposal to revamp unemployment systems and increase benefits announced
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin pleads the Fifth Amendment: what is it, and what are the defendant’s rights when they invoke it?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Veteran third stimulus check: when is it arriving & how much?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: why could it be unlikely?