Auckland City withdraw from Club World Cup over covid measures
Auckland City have withdrawn from next month's Club World Cup due to the covid-19 pandemic and quarantine measures required by New Zealand's authorities.
FIFA have confirmed that Auckland City have withdrawn from next month's Club World Cup due to the covid-19 pandemic and quarantine measures required by New Zealand's authorities.
The 2020 edition of the tournament, which was originally scheduled for December, is now being held from Feb. 1-11 in Qatar and brings together continental champions from across the world.
"Despite FIFA's regular exchanges with the club, New Zealand Football and the OFC in recent days, the requirements of the New Zealand authorities in relation to isolation and quarantine go beyond FIFA's remit and, therefore, it was not possible to reach a solution," it said in a statement.
Auckland City FC withdraw from FIFA Club World Cup™ https://t.co/JyXWtF85oc— FIFA Media (@fifamedia) January 15, 2021
Auckland City were originally scheduled to play Qatari side Al Duhail, who will now enter the competition in the second round.
The tournament will be played with Al-Duhail, Al Ahly, Bayern Munich, Ulsan Hyundai, Tigres UANL and the winners of the CONMEBOL Libertadores final between Brazilian sides Palmeiras and Santos, which is scheduled for Jan. 30.
The draw to finalise the pairings will be held on Jan. 19 in Zurich.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA Skills Challenge: which players will participate in the 2021 edition?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 Does NBA League Pass include NBA All-Star 2021?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming & when it could pass Senate vote, IRS tax return | Live
- 2021 TAX FILING Has the IRS already started refunding tax return 2021?
- NFL Denver Broncos: Stay locked on Drew or hand keys to a rookie QB?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK How to claim a missing stimulus check on your 2020 tax return