Spanish Super Cup 2021 Final: who are the top historical scorers of the tournament?
Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao came through their semi-finals in the new four-team format, but who have been the top all-time scorers in the showpiece games.
The Spanish Super Cup pits the winners of the previous season’s LaLiga against the champion of the Copa del Rey from the previous campaign. Historically this has been the case anyway, but has been changed recently to involve the teams that finish first and second in the league, and the two finalists of the cup, creating a semi-final stage before the final.
Top scorers in Spanish Super Cup
In 2021, Real Madrid and Barcelona took their places in separate semis, and they faced Basque sides, Athletic Club and Real Sociedad, respectively. The Catalan and Bilbao clubs both won to set up the final and there was one normally key man missing for the blaugrana when it comes to goals.
Lionel Messi is the top scorer in the Spanish Super Cup with 14 in 19 matches. The closest to him is Real Madrid legend Raúl with seven in 12, and another Barça man, Hristo Stoichkov, makes up the top three with six in ten.
Here are the others making up the list.
Spanish Super Cup: top scorers
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona) 14 goals 19 games
- Raúl (Real Madrid) 7 goals 12 games
- Hristo Stoichkov (Barcelona) 6 goals 10 games
- Txiki Begiristain (Real Sociedad, Barcelona, Deportivo La Coruña) 6 goals 12 games
- Frédéric Kanouté (Sevilla) 5 goals 2 games
- Aritz Aduriz (Athletic Bilbao) 4 goals 2 games
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) 4 goals 7 games
- José Mari Bakero (Real Sociedad, Barcelona) 4 goals 11 games
- Xavi (Barcelona) 4 goals 14 games
Te recomendamos en English
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Mason to take charge of Spurs until end of season
- FOOTBALL FIFA and Infantino 'strongly disapprove' of breakaway competition
- NBA Heat Check: Curry serves up points aplenty, Herro goes cold in Miami
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- ALFREDO RELAÑO UEFA and the European Super League bare their teeth
- FOOTBALL Bayern Munich eye France midfielder Camavinga