Trippier to serve rest of 10-week ban after Atlético appeal dismissed by FIFA
Kieran Trippier will be unavailable to play until 28 February after FIFA ruled he must serve a suspension handed down by the English FA.
Atlético Madrid defender Kieran Tripper must serve the rest of his 10-week ban after his appeal was dismissed by FIFA. The defender was issued a suspension and a fine of £70,000 on 23 December after England's Football Association found him guilty of breaking rules related to betting. Trippier was charged with seven alleged breaches of rule E8(1)(b), four of which were proven.
The regulation states: "Where a participant provides to any other person any information relating to football which the participant has obtained by virtue of his or her position within the game and which is not publicly available at that time, the participant shall be in breach of this rule where any of that information is used by that other person for, or in relation to, betting."
Trippier denied the charges and his ban was put on hold while FIFA's Appeal Committee considered his case. However, in a statement on Monday, football's governing body said: "The FIFA Appeal Committee has dismissed the appeal lodged by the club Atletico Madrid in a case concerning the player Kieran Trippier. As a consequence, the decision of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee passed on December 23 2020 is confirmed, extending sanctions imposed on the player by the English FA to have worldwide effect."
Trippier to return ahead of Madrid derby
Trippier will now be unavailable for Diego Simeone's side until 28 February. The England international will miss LaLiga matches against Eibar, Valencia, Cádiz, Celta, Granada and Levante, but he will be back in time for the derby with Real Madrid, which is scheduled for 7 March. However, he will also sit out the first leg of the Champions League last-16 tie with Chelsea at the Wanda Metropolitano on 23 February.
Te recomendamos en English
- Bundesliga Jadon Sancho sets Bundesliga assist record in Arminia win
- FOOTBALL Transfer news round-up: Liverpool eyeing Gerard return as Klopp exit looms
- BOXING Canelo finishes Yildirim in three rounds to retain world titles
- NBA Mavs snap Nets' eight-game winning streak, Embiid scores 42 but 76ers lose in OT
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT 2021 Will I be able to apply for a third stimulus check and $3000 child tax credit?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | How much, who qualifies, Child tax credit | Live