Record-high number of teams to participate in AFC competitions
The AFC is set to stage the group stage draw for the AFC Cup and AFC Champions League on 27 January, with both competitions witnessing expansion.
The AFC Champions League and AFC Cup group-stage draws are set to be held in Malaysia on 27 January, with both competitions set to witness a huge expansion as two groups will be added to the AFC Champions League group stage for the first time in history, while the AFC Cup is set to see the participation of 39 teams instead of 36.
With a new group added to both the east and west regions in the Champions League, 40 teams instead of 32 will be competing for the title, and the AFC Cup will include a new 'central zone' group that will cause the rise of participating teams to 39 instead of 36.
Teams to make their AFC CL debut
According to the new system, some Asian clubs are set for their historic AFC Champions League debut this season, including: newly-crowned Jordanian Pro League champions Al Wehdat, India’s FC Goa, and two-time AFC Cup runners-up FC Istiklol from Tajikistan in the west region, as well as United City FC from the Philippines, Tampines Rovers from Singapore and Vietnam’s Viettel FC in the east region.
Title holders in pot 2
Saudi Arabia's Al Hilal, Qataris Al Sadd and Al Duhail, Iranians Perspolis and Sharjah of the UAE are in pot 1 of the draw, while reigning champions Ulsan Hyundai of South Korea, Al Nassr and Ahly Jeddah of Saudi Arabia, Iranians Tractor, and Shabab Ahly Dubai of UAE have been drawn in pot 2.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times