Soweto derby takes inspiration from Super Bowl ahead of 'Buccaneers'-Chiefs clash
One of the biggest derbies in African football will see Orlando Pirates nicknamed the Buccaneers face Kaizer Chiefs a week ahead of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers- KC Chiefs Super Bowl.
The Soweto derby is widely regarded as one of the most intense on the continent as South Africa's most popular clubs Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates go head-to-head.
This season, home side Orlando Pirates have been inspired by the 2021 NFL Super Bowl final which will see Tampa Bay Buccaneers face reigning champions Kansas City Chiefs at the Raymond James (Ray-Jay) stadium in Tampa Bay (Florida) on 7 February. Orlando are nicknamed 'The Buccaneers' and have created a clever social media campaign showcasing the 'Soweto Super Bowl' ahead of Saturday's Premier League clash between the two Johannesburg giants.
☠ Watch the full #SowetoDerby Pre-Match Press Conference— Orlando Pirates FC (@orlandopirates) January 29, 2021
📺 PiratesTV 👉🏿 https://t.co/MPOhZVN2sl
⚽️ @orlandopirates vs @KaizerChiefs
📆 Saturday, 30 January 2021
🏟 Orlando Stadium
📺 SuperSport PSL & SABC1
⚫⚪🔴⭐#OrlandoPirates #OnceAlways pic.twitter.com/GWAAZPVmiR
Despite being overshadowed historically in the derby by the Chiefs with six league wins and 16 defeats, Orlando Pirates are ahead in the current South African Premier League standings sitting in fifth with their historical rivals in eighth spot going into Saturday's DSTV Premiership clash at the Orlando stadium with a start of 15:30 local time.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: who is getting extra money, why and how much?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid and Barça to battle it out for Haaland and Alaba
- EL CLÁSICO Piqué fighting until last minute for El Clásico start
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man City vs Leeds United: live!
- GOLF | AUGUSTA MASTERS 2021 Olazábal dedicates Masters cut to late compatriot Ballesteros
- EL CLÁSICO Real Madrid vs Barcelona: which players have played on both teams?