Todibo goes on loan from Barcelona to Nice
The Barça central defender, who made hardly any impact at Benfica, will finish the season at Nice, who have an €8.5 million purchase option.
Jean Clair Todibo has a new team. After a disastrous spell at Benfica - with Barcelona loaning him 'in extremis' thanks to the intervention of Jorge Mendes, the central defender has packed his bags, destination Nice, with a loan deal through to 30 June.
At the end of the season the French club will get to decide whether they keep him or return him - they have an €8.5 million purchase option, with a further seven million in variables.
Barcelona officially announced the move this evening, Monday 1 February, highlighting that the loan move was carried out with the approval of both Barcelona and Benfica.
Todibo's two year loan to Nice
Barcelona sent Todibo out on loan to the Lisbon-based club for two seasons for a payment of just two million euros and with the possibility of a final purchase deal for €20 million. However, to the surprise of many the relationship between coach Jorge Jesus and the young French defender soured quickly, to the point where the coach said Todibo was a player lacking both the tactical awareness and physical ability to play at the top level.
The situation was so awkward, Benfica tried to send the player back to Barcelona. However, Barça rejected the idea, pointing out the player had gone for two seasons and their intention was for that period to be completed. That left Benfica forced to look for a solution, eventually coming up with this move to Nice.
Te recomendamos en English
- FIFA No harm, no foul between Mexico and Honduras after the 90 minutes.
- COPA AMERICA Brazil vs Venezuela: covid-19 chaos as La Vinotinto face up to tall task
- US News Unemployment benefits: How many fraudulent claims were made and how much money was stolen?
- E3 2021 PC Gaming Show at E3 2021: times, stream and how to watch
- E3 2021 Square Enix conference at E3 2021: times, stream and how to watch
- E3 2021 Microsoft Xbox + Bethesda conference at E3 2021: times, stream online and how to watch