João Félix tests positive for coronavirus
A positive covid-19 test has forced João Félix to self-isolate ahead of Atlético Madrid's game against Celta Vigo.
João Félix has tested positive for covid-19, adding to Diego Simeone's problems ahead of Atlético Madrid's meeting with Celta Vigo.
Portugal international João Félix is self-isolating at home, as team-mates Mario Hermoso and Yannick Carrasco have been doing since Friday.
A brief Atlético statement read: "João Félix has tested positive for covid-19. The striker is isolating at home, in compliance with the health authorities' guidelines and LaLiga protocols."
Simeone's men have a 10-point advantage at the top of LaLiga and welcome Celta to the Wanda Metropolitano on Monday. They then travel to Granada the following Saturday.
Hermoso and Carrasco are unlikely to return for the meeting with Celta, while Kieran Trippier will be absent due to suspension.
João Félix marked his return to the starting line-up against Valencia on January 24 by scoring his first goal in almost two months and setting up another, leading Atlético from a goal down to a 3-1 victory.
Hoping for more game time
The 21-year-old has been left out of the first XI eight times in LaLiga this season and Atlético have won all those matches.
However, when João Félix starts they average two more shots (12.1 to 10.0) and their goals-per-game ratio improves from 1.9 to 2.3.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Mbappé transfer: the nuclear option to force his departure from PSG
- EURO 2020 Busquets: "We'll send Van der Vaart a leg of ham as a thank you present"
- NBA Durant responds to Pippen after Bulls legend says Nets star 'doesn't have what LeBron has'
- TENNIS Defending champion Simona Halep ruled out of Wimbledon
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS $300 unemployment benefit: which states still keep payments?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Florentino explains Sergio Ramos' and Zidane's departures