Messi joining PSG would be "a magnificent gift" says Verratti
PSG's Italian midfielder Marco Verratti discussed the possible arrival of Lionel Messi in the French capital: "Of course, I would love it if he joined".
Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti said he is excited about the prospect of playing alongside Lionel Messi with the Ligue 1 champions. Barcelona superstar Messi is out of contract at the end of the season and the six-time Ballon d'Or winner has been heavily linked with PSG and Premier League leaders Manchester City.
As Messi's future dominates headlines, PSG star Verratti discussed his possible arrival in Paris. "Of course, I would like to play with Messi," Italy international Verratti told Canal+. "To have him in the squad would be something magnificent, one more thing that football would give to me. I would give the ball to Neymar and Messi and stay behind to just [enjoy] watching them a bit."
PSG and Barcelona will meet in the Champions League last 16, with the first leg taking place at Camp Nou on 16 February. It will be a reunion for former Barça star Neymar, who has scored six goals in 11 Ligue 1 matches this season. Neymar - who left Barcelona in a world-record €222million deal in 2017 - has scored 13 goals across all competitions.
"We are not stupid, we know that he is the best player and our role is to put him in the best possible condition," Verratti said. "He knows that when I have the ball, I'm looking for him. He always makes movements to receive the ball well."
PSG in third
Mauricio Pochettino's PSG are third in Ligue 1 after 24 rounds, three points adrift of leaders Lille following Sunday's 2-0 Classique victory against Olympique Marseille. PSG face Caen in the Coupe de France on Wednesday before welcoming Nice to the French capital in Ligue 1 action on Saturday.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- Unemployment Benefits Why are recipients seeing unemployment benefits cut?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: how many people are still waiting for it?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin trial: can he appeal the sentence?
- SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: interview Florentino Pérez, ten clubs withdraw, reactions, UEFA, clubs
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: Manchester Utd fans break into training ground in anti-Glazer protest