FIFA advises Al Ahly players to isolate after breaching covid-19 rules
The governing body told the African champions that neither player can play against Palmeiras after they violated health bubble regulations.
Al-Ahly's officials have received confirmation from FIFA informing them that players Hussein Al Shahat and Mahmoud Kahraba have to go into self-isolation as they breached health bubble system regulations.
The incident occured after the Club World Cup semi-final game against Bayern Munich when both players went to shake hands with former club legend Mohamed Aboutrika, who was watching the game from the stands.
كهربا وأبو تريكة من لقاء الأمس 🔴🤝🦅 pic.twitter.com/JcqhXlkWQd— FilGoal (From 🏠) (@FilGoal) February 9, 2021
Players ruled out of game with Palmeiras
According to FIFA's letter, neither player can participate in the team's group training or in the third-place game against Palmeiras of Brazil next Thursday, as they mixed with someone from outside the health bubble implemented during the tournament.
As per covid-19 health bubble regulations, people inside the health bubble must not mingle with anyone from outside the bubble, a rule that both players broke to express their admiration for the ex-Al Ahly legend, who participated in the championship with the Red Devils on several occasions before his retirement. He still remains the club's highest goalscorer in the Club World Cup.
Al Ahly making efforts to overturn ban
In response to FIFA's letter, a source at Al Ahly revealed that officials are making attempts to negotiate with FIFA's representatives to give the players permission to play on Thursday in case their tests results return negative.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?