West Ham make first concussion substitution as Diop replaced in FA Cup tie
Issa Diop was replaced by Ryan Fredericks after suffering a head injury during West Ham's FA Cup loss to Manchester United on Tuesday.
West Ham United made the first concussion substitute in English football during their 1-0 FA Cup fifth-round defeat to Manchester United on Tuesday.
Fredericks replaces Diop after clash of heads with Martial
Issa Diop - himself an early replacement for the injured Angelo Ogbonna at Old Trafford - clashed heads with Anthony Martial towards the end of a goalless first half.
Ryan Fredericks emerged for the second period and West Ham announced via their Twitter account that the change was a concussion replacement.
Last month, the Premier League and the Football Association approved a trial allowing teams to make a maximum of two additional substitutions in the event of players suffering head injuries and showing symptoms of concussion.
Last weekend was the first time Premier League clubs had the option of making such changes, although none were required.
Concussion substitutions also allowed in Club World Cup
Teams participating in the Club World Cup can also make concussion substitutions, although FIFA is allowing just one additional change.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid team news: Fede Valverde out of Getafe game due to coronavius contact
- LaLiga Getafe vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- NBA Lakers star Andre Drummond revels in surreal moment after Staples Center win
- F1 Miami Grand Prix added to Formula One calendar from 2022
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci, My Turn...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim