Real Madrid: Marcelo, the latest setback for Zidane
Real Madrid have confirmed that the Brazilian left-back has injured his left calf muscle and will be out of action for three weeks. He will miss the Atalanta tie.
Marcelo is the latest to join a long injury list at Real Madrid. The Brazilian defender had to be taken off towards the end of Tuesday's 2-0 win over Getafe after suffering a sharp pain to a muscle. The club issued a medical update today, confirming an injury to the player's left calf muscle. He will be out of action for a minimum of three weeks. According to Doctor González, a sports medicine specialist, it appears that Marcelo's injury is deep inside the muscle rather than on the outside - a less serious situation which would have left him sidelined for 10 days.
The left-back is certain to miss the Champions League Last 16 first leg against Atalanta on 24 February, as well as the league games against Valencia, Valladolid and Real Sociedad. With any luck, he will be available for the Madrid derby against Atlético at the Wanda Metropolitano on the weekend of 6/7 March. His intention is to reduce the recovery period as much as possible working alongside Real Madrid's medical team and his own personal trainer.
Madrid dogged by muscular injuries
Marcelo is the ninth player to figure on Madrid's casualty list. Sergio Ramos, Rodrygo, Fede Valverde, Militão, Odriozola, Hazard, Dani Carvajal and Lucas Vázquez are all recovering from their respective injuries, most of them, like Marcelo, with muscular problems. It is hoped that some of them will be able to return to training with the squad at the start of next week - Valverde, Carvajal and Lucas are nearing the end of their rehabilitation.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO 2020 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Football Tournament draws: as it happened
- FOOTBALL European Super League, live updates: all English clubs withdraw, reactions, Florentino Pérez, UEFA, clubs
- FOOTBALL European Super League 'hugely embarrassing' for Madrid president Perez
- FOOTBALL Inter and Atletico withdraw as Agnelli says European Super League is a no-go
- George and Clippers nip Blazers late, Irving leads way for Nets
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim