Bayern Munich reach agreement to sign Upamecano on five-year deal
Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidžić has confirmed that RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano will join the European champions in the summer.
Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidžić confirmed to German media outlet Bild that RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano will join the European champions on a five-year deal this summer.
"I can confirm that and we’re very happy. We had very good, intensive and professional discussions with Dayot and his agent Volker Struth for several months,” Salihamidžić said.
“We knew we had tough competition. We presented him with our vision of his career at Bayern. At the end of a long process, the player, his family and his management were convinced that Bayern was the right partner for them. Dayot will play for Bayern Munich for the next five seasons.”
Bayern activate release clause
The Club World Cup champions have activated Upamecano’s €42.5 million release clause, bringing the highly-rated defender's time at RB Leipzig to an end after four years.
The French defender had also been linked to Real Madrid, however, his release clause was a figure that Los Blancos considered excessive, so the signing was ruled out. With the signing the German champions will fill the hole left by David Alaba, who will leave the club at the end of the season and could join Madrid.
"The complete centre-back"
Speaking to AS about his Leipzig teammate, Spanish left-back Angeliño said: "He's a beast. He takes the ball out from the back very well, takes risks, but does it well. He is also fast and the complete centre-back. He can play well both in both a back three or four."
The defender was on the radar of Manchester United, City, Liverpool and Chelsea.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- Unemployment Benefits Why are recipients seeing unemployment benefits cut?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: how many people are still waiting for it?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin trial: can he appeal the sentence?
- SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: interview Florentino Pérez, ten clubs withdraw, reactions, UEFA, clubs
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: Manchester Utd fans break into training ground in anti-Glazer protest