Felipe Melo: Palmeiras lost to a team that caused Bayern Munich trouble
The Brazilian midfielder spoke following Palmeiras' loss to Al-Ahly at the Club World Cup as the African champions snatched the bronze medal.
Palmeiras midfielder Felipe Melo spoke to the media after his team finished fourth at the FIFA Club World Cup in Qatar following defeat to Al-Ahly in the third-place play-off, stating that his side encountered very powerful rivals in the tournament.
Melo upbeat despite unsuccessful Club World Cup campaign
"We played a good game, and we were better than we were in the first game," Melo, who missed his spot-kick as his side went down to Al-Ahly on penalties, told reporters.
"Unfortunately we lost, now we need to focus on the final we will play in Brazil. We made a lot of great achievements this year. It's been an honour being here."
The 37-year-old expressed his disappointment that his team didn't achieve their goal of winning the Club World Cup title, noting they are leaving with their heads held high as they did everything they could.
"We played against two completely different football schools, the first one is Mexican with a coach that has been in charge of the team for so long, then we played against a team that made Bayern Munich go through a tough time," he said.
Al-Ahly's second third-place finish at Club World Cup
Al-Ahly's giant goalkeeper Mohamed El Shenawy saved two penalties, granting his team a spot on the podium after losing the previous game 2-0 to the European champions. It's the second time Al-Ahly have finished third at the Club World Cup, having also done so in 2006.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?