Real Madrid's Dani Carvajal facing a while out
The right-back suffered an injury to his right thigh muscle and tendon and faces at least a month and a half on the sidelines. He could return for El Clásico.
More bad luck for Dani Carvajal, who could be out of action until the next international break. The right-back has suffered an injury to his right thigh muscle which has also affected the tendon, according to the medical report issued today by Real Madrid. The report doesn't mention how long the player is expected to be out but usually such injuries require a recovery period of around a month and a half.
It means that Carvajal could miss the next five league games - against Valladolid, Real Sociedad, Atlético, Elche and Celta and as well as the Champions League Last 16 first leg against Atalanta. The last LaLiga game before the international break falls on 20 or 21 March, against Celta at Balaídos. After that, Madrid are not in action until the weekend of 3-4 April, when Eibar are guests at the Di Stéfano.
El Clásico... and the Champions League
The objective is for Carva to have recovered and be available for the quarter finals of the Champions League - providing that Madrid advance (if they do, the first leg would be on 6-7 April and the return on 13-14 April) and also El Clásico in Valdebebas on 11 April.
Carvajal hobbled out of Sunday's game against Valencia on 25 minutes. It was his first game since the meeting with Celta on 2 January. A niggling injury kept him out for seven games during a month and a half. It's the fourth injury he has suffered this season - one in which he has played a part in 11 of the team's 31 games so far.
A knee ligament injury kept him out for a month and a half from October until the second week in November - he missed eight games during that period. He reappeared for a couple of matches - against Villarreal and Inter Milan before he was sidelined again with an adductor issue which kept him out for 10 days.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician
- NBA Dallas' Doncic on game-winning three-pointer: "Those are the best feelings ever"
- US NEWS A new proposal to revamp unemployment systems and increase benefits announced
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin pleads the Fifth Amendment: what is it, and what are the defendant’s rights when they invoke it?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Veteran third stimulus check: when is it arriving & how much?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: why could it be unlikely?