Atlético suffer Carrasco blow ahead of Chelsea clash
Atlético Madrid's Belgian winger Yannick Carrasco is a major doubt for next week's Champions League tie after suffering a muscular injury.
Yannick Carrasco is a major doubt for Atlético Madrid's Champions League Last 16 first leg against Chelsea next week after suffering a muscle injury.
Atleti revealed that the Belgium international had sustained an injury setback but did not specify how long he will be out of action. A club statement read: "Yannick Carrasco has suffered a post-traumatic injury of the left leg musculature, an MRI scan and a medical ultrasound performed at the Clinica Universidad de Navarra confirmed the injury. The Belgian is pending response to treatment."
Champions League tie moved to Romania
LaLiga leaders Atleti face Levante at the Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday, before taking on Chelsea at a neutral venue - the Arena Nationala in Bucharest, three days later.
Carrasco only recently returned after missing three matches following his positive coronavirus test.
There was better news on midfielder Thomas Lemar, who is back in contention after recovering from Covid-19, while Moussa Dembélé is nearing a return. Diego Simeone explained in today's press conference: "Yannick has a knock from the game against Granada. It's still affecting him. We'll see how it evolves. The good news is Lemar is with us and we look forward to Dembele possibly being able to return tomorrow and to continue adding people as quickly as possible."
Simeone's side are six points clear of second-placed Real Madrid with a game in hand after they were held to a 1-1 draw with Levante on Wednesday.
Te recomendamos en English
- OSCARS 2021 Which movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture each year?
- THE SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: fan groups call out club greed
- OSCARS 2021 What 2021 Oscar Nominees are available on what streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video)?
- SUPER LEAGUE Super League? But what happens with the Champions League?
- NBA Nets to determine severity of Durant injury after defeat to Heat
- Gun violence Texas shooting: who is the suspect identified by the police?