Sancho and Haaland star as Dortmund lads battle for record
Erling Haaland scored a double in Borussia Dortmund's Bundesliga win over rivals Schalke to close in on Jadon Sancho's newly-set record.
Jadon Sancho became the youngest player to reach 35 goals in Bundesliga history, but team-mate Erling Haaland is fast closing in on that record after netting another double in Borussia Dortmund's 4-0 win over Schalke.
Haaland chasing newly set Sancho record
England international Sancho picked his spot from just inside the box to open the scoring for BVB in Saturday's Revierderby at the VELTINS-Arena.
Sancho, who joined Dortmund from Manchester City in August 2017, reached the 35-goal milestone at the age of 20 years, 10 months and 26 days.
Put it in the Louvre. pic.twitter.com/p92kAsAoE1— Borussia Dortmund (@BlackYellow) February 20, 2021
However, Haaland took his Bundesliga tally for Dortmund to 30 in 32 matches in the same game. Almost four months younger than Sancho, Haaland has until the end of the season to snatch the record off his team-mate.
It was Sancho who set up Haaland for the first of his goals against Schalke, floating in a cross from the left for the Norway international to volley spectacularly past Ralf Fahrmann with both feet off the ground.
Raphael Guerreiro scored the visitors' third with an hour played and, fresh from bagging a brace against Sevilla in the Champions League, man-of-the-moment Haaland rounded off the scoring with a poked finish late on.
The victory over their fiercest rivals moves sixth-placed Dortmund within six points of the top four, while Schalke remain bottom of the table with nine points from 22 matches.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician
- NBA Dallas' Doncic on game-winning three-pointer: "Those are the best feelings ever"
- US NEWS A new proposal to revamp unemployment systems and increase benefits announced
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin pleads the Fifth Amendment: what is it, and what are the defendant’s rights when they invoke it?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Veteran third stimulus check: when is it arriving & how much?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: why could it be unlikely?