Shanghai Port to take part in AFC Champions League following Shandong expulsion
Shanghai Port have been granted a place in the ACL play-off round as Shandong were expelled due to overdue payables.
The Chinese Super League side currently known as Shanghai Port FC (formerly Shanghai SIPG) have received a late call-up to participate in this year's AFC champions league play-off round, replacing Shandong Luneng who have been expelled by the Asian Confederation over some overdue payables - outstanding payments that were not honoured.
Shanghai, the 2018 Super League title winners, were initially deprived of taking part in this year's continental championship as they finished fourth in the domestic league last year, however, they will have a chance to feature in the tournament as Shandong disqualification has been confirmed.
Shandong who had earned their appearance in the competition by winning the Chinese FA Cup got their license to play revoked over the late dues they haven't paid off, which urged AFC to announce on Thursday that The AFC said on Guangzhou FC will replace Shandong as China’s second-ranked club in the competition and, as a result, Fabio Cannavaro’s side will play in Group J alongside Hong Kong’s Kitchee, Port FC from Thailand and either Melbourne City, Myanmar’s Shan United or Cerezo Osaka from Japan.
Meanwhile, Beijing FC that had finished third in the league will avert featuring in the play-off round and will automatically qualify to the group stage, while Shanghai Port will take on either Brisbane Roar from Australia or Kaya-Iloilo of the Philippines in the playoff rounds to secure a spot in Group F alongside reigning champion Ulsan Hyundai of South Korea, Thailand’s BG Pathum United and Viettel from Vietnam.
Te recomendamos en English
- GOLF | AUGUSTA MASTERS 2021 Augusta Masters 2021 Day 3 live online | scores and leaderboard | Matsuyama leads at -11
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: until when will the new "plus-up" payments be sent?
- REAL MADRID 2 - 1 BARCELONA Real Madrid ratings in Clásico against Barcelona
- EL CLÁSICO Real Madrid ahead of Barcelona in Clásicos won: 98-96
- LALIGA SANTANDER Real Madrid - Barcelona: what are their next matches and how many points are left?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check live updates: is a fourth payment coming, expected dates, plus-up payments, tracker