Former Barça president Bartomeu detained after club offices raided
Former Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu was detained on Monday after Catalan police officers searched the La Liga club's offices, Spanish radio station Cadena Ser reported on Monday.
Former Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu was arrested on Monday after Catalan police officers searched the La Liga club's offices, Spanish radio station Cadena Ser reported on Monday.
A regional police spokeswoman confirmed several arrests had been made following an investigation by the force's financial crimes unit, without confirming the number of arrests made or their identities.
A Barça spokeswoman confirmed the offices had been searched but did not make any additional comment.
Bartomeu's lawyers could not immediately be reached for comment.
The investigation stems from the 'Barcagate' affair which was unearthed last year by Cadena Ser and revealed the club had contracted marketing consultancy I3 Ventures to monitor social media activity.
The revelations led to protests from supporters and to several board members resigning while increasing the pressure on Bartomeu, who eventually stepped down in October after facing a vote of no-confidence.
Breaking: Former FC Barcelona president Bartomeu arrested by Catalan police— AS English (@English_AS) March 1, 2021
Live updates here:https://t.co/KAygOxTL53
The club's members will vote to elect a new president in next Sunday's election, which was postponed from January due to covid-19 restrictions in Catalonia.
Barçagate live updates:
For the latest news on the arrests from Barcelona, follow our live feed here
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Derek Chauvin found guilty of murder of George Floyd, updates, reaction
- George Floyd Derek Chauvin jury verdict live online: George Floyd Death Trial | Deliberation, possible charges...
- US News Unemployment benefits: What state has the best payments?
- NFL Dallas Cowboys in the 2021 NFL Draft: What players could they take?
- NFL Green Bay Packers at the NFL Draft 2021: What players could they pick?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin verdict: final conviction, charges and what will happen now?