FC Barcelona cleared from Barçagate, Bartomeu provisionally released
The investigation now becomes an individual matter focusing on former club president Josep Maria Bartomeu and his key advisor Jaume Masferrer.
"Barçagate" now becomes just "Bartogate" after judge Alejandra Gil cleared the football club from the ongoing investigation process relating to the hiring of an external social media club by the club to taint the reputation of key FC Barcelona figures. The case now centres on two individuals, former club president Josep Maria Bartomeu and his personal advisor Jaume Masferrer. Both men were released from police custody but are still under investigation.
Summing up this morning, the judge stated that FC Barcelona are now no longer under investigation but are now the damaged party in the case after both Josep Maria Bartomeu and Jaume Masferrer refused to answer any questions on the matter on legal advice.
With the accused no longer the club, the initial case brought forward by independent supporters platform Dignitat Blaugrana has been closed by Judge Gil with the case now focusing on the two former Barça executives.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?