Cristiano Ronaldo makes history, Juventus keep title hopes alive
Andrea Pirlo believes Juventus are still in the Serie A title race after Cristiano Ronaldo's historic goal capped a win over Spezia.
Cristiano Ronaldo made history on Tuesday to give Juventus a 3-0 Serie A victory over Spezia in Turin.
Ronaldo keeps records tumbling
The 36-year-old struck the third goal of the game after Álvaro Morata and Federico Chiesa had put the champions in control in the second half at the Allianz Stadium.
Ronaldo's clinical finish saw him become the first player to score at least 20 goals in each of the past 12 seasons in Europe's top-five leagues.
It was a moment to savour for the Portugal star, who was playing in the 600th league match of his career, as he moved two goals clear of Inter's Romelu Lukaku in the race to finish as Serie A top scorer for 2020-21.
The result lifted Juve back to within seven points of league leaders Inter with 14 games remaining, and head coach Andrea Pirlo is not prepared to give up on their chances of a 10th title in succession.
"The gap is just the points that separate us," he told Sky Sport Italia. "We know it will be a long chase. Inter have been playing together for two years, they have a well-drilled approach, whereas we just started this season. We still intend to be there right to the end."
Pirlo felt his side's sluggish start against Spezia was "more physical than psychological fatigue", adding: "It can happen when you have so many games with the same players.
"We tried to control the game and then when the fresh legs came on, we were sharper and able to make the most of our chances."
Te recomendamos en English
- VACCINE NEWS What is a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis? Blood clot symptons and causes
- Real Madrid Zidane says Real Madrid want Champions League and LaLiga
- Tax Day Will the 2021 tax deadline be extended again?
- MLB MLB round-up: Dream start to MLB career continues for Baddoo, Giolioto-Bieber will be one to watch for years
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK When are the remaining stimulus check and 'plus-up' payments arriving?
- American Rescue Plan When will child tax credit be sent?