Real Madrid: Mariano Díaz set to miss derby with pelvic injury
As Karim Benzema battles to be fit for Sunday's LaLiga clash with Atlético, fellow Real Madrid striker Mariano Díaz has been struck down with injury.
Real Madrid striker Mariano Díaz is set to miss this weekend's derby with Atlético Madrid after suffering a pelvic injury.
Mariano taken off in midweek LaLiga draw with Real Sociedad
The 27-year-old was taken off after 61 minutes of Monday's 1-1 draw with Real Sociedad at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stéfano.
Madrid announced on their official website on Thursday: "Following the tests carried out today on our player, Mariano Díaz, by the Real Madrid medical department, he has been diagnosed with a muscle injury to his left external obturator. His recovery will be monitored."
Mariano is expected to be sidelined for Sunday's clash with the LaLiga leaders, leaving Zinedine Zidane's side facing a striker shortage.
Benzema in fitness race ahead of derby
Karim Benzema is battling to be fit after missing three games with adductor problems, with 21-year-old Hugo Duro called upon for the final half-hour against La Real for just his second LaLiga appearance in Madrid colours.
The champions head into the contest with Diego Simeone's side trailing them by five points in the table, having played a game more.
However, they are unbeaten in the past nine league derby matches and are the only side from Spain's top flight to have played at the Wanda Metropolitano and avoided defeat.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?