Liverpool's Wijnaldum pre-contract deal with Barcelona
New president at the Camp Nou, Joan Laporta, has reportedly tied up his first signing of his second spell at the Catalan club, a key player for Ronald Koeman.
Newly appointed president at FC Barcelona, Joan Laporta, is continuing to plan Barça's squad for next season and in addition to making contact with Alaba and Haaland, he appears to have concluded the arrival of Georginio Wijnaldum.
Wijnaldum to swap Anfield for Camp Nou
The Sunday Times reports that the Liverpool midfielder has decided not to renew his contract with Liverpool, one that expires this summer, and has signed a pre-contract with Laporta to become the first signing of his second spell as president.
Wijnaldum will arrive in Barcelona as a free transfer and will finally fulfil Ronald Koeman’s wish, with the manager keen to bring in his compatriot as soon as he arrived at Barcelona last August.
The Sunday Times understands that Wijnaldum has agreed a pre-contract deal to become the first signing of Joan Laporta’s second spell as president of the Barcelona. @DuncanCastles reports #LFC https://t.co/mruzFM2zwR— Times Sport (@TimesSport) March 21, 2021
The Dutchman would arrive in LaLiga at the age of 30 and after proving himself a key player at Liverpool this season. So far he has featured for Jürgen Klopp's side in 40 games across all competitions and has scored three goals. Arguably this would have been considerably less had The Reds not been hit so hard with injuries in defence and midfield this year, and that may well have been the player’s thinking ahead of next season.
For their part, the recruitment team at the Premier League club are already making their own plans and have been looking for his replacement for some time. The 26-year-old Argentine, Rodrigo de Paul, currently impressing at Udinese in Serie A, is one to have caught the eye.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: FDA approves Pfizer for 12-15 year olds, side effects, Indian variant...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $2,000 monthly stimulus, Golden State payment tracker, Child Tax Credit...
- Barcelona - Atlético Madrid Messi and Suárez to face off for first time in title decider
- PREMIER LEAGUE Bale hitting top form as Real Madrid star mulls Spurs stay
- Inter Milan Lautaro: I nearly joined Messi at Barcelona and Real Madrid tried to sign me twice
- REAL MADRID Juventus look to Zidane as replacement for Pirlo