Salah eyes new record with Egypt after lengthy absence
Liverpool star Mohamed Salah, who has recently joined the Egyptian national team camp, is targeting another goalscoring milestone with his country.
Liverpool's talisman Mohamed Salah has recently joined the Egyptian national team camp for the AFCON qualifier against Kenya on Thursday. As normal, he is expected to shine in the Pharaohs' colors, being back for the first time since November 2019 when Egypt got knocked out of the 2019 AFCON they hosted at the hands of South Africa.
Salah has been unlucky since then, being ruled out of Egypt's fixtures on several occasions, once due to an ankle injury and another time when he tested positive for covid-19, but the 'Egyptian King' is back in action with a new target he is setting his eyes on. He is targeting becoming Egypt's all-time second highest goal scorer behind the legendary Hossam Hassan.
Salah is currently third on the list having scored 41 goals in 67 appearances in the Pharaohs' kit, just one goal behind Hassan Al-Shazli, while Hossam Hassan sits comfortably on top of the charts with 69 goals.
Salah already Egypt's leading goalscorer in qualifying
Salah, who is set to make his first international appearance in 625 days, is currently Egypt's AFCON qualifiers all-time top scorer as he has 14 goals to his name while Hossam Hassan had only scored 12 goals in the continental qualifiers.
An away victory over Kenya on Thursday would grant Egypt a ticket to the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon, with Hossam Al-Badry's men hoping they can secure an early qualification to the competition Egypt have won more than any other national team, the Pharaohs having seven AFCON titles to their name.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?