Martinez revels in Belgium comeback victory over Wales
Belgium coach Roberto Martínez was pleased with his side's character in the victory over Wales with De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku on target.
Roberto Martínez praised the "incredible personality" of his Belgium players after a 3-1 win over Wales on Wednesday. Belgium fell behind in the World Cup qualifier in Leuven after Harry Wilson's 10th-minute opener in Group E.
But they responded and were ahead at the break thanks to Kevin De Bruyne and Thorgan Hazard, before Romelu Lukaku's 73rd-minute penalty.
Belgium coach Martínez was pleased with the character his side showed after falling behind as the nation picked up their first victory against Wales since September 2012.
Martínez: "Wales adapted to the game better than us"
"We knew that it was going to be a tough game. That's nothing different, but I think it became even harder than we expected," he told a news conference.
"The moment that we conceded the first goal I thought Wales adapted to the game better than us. It was made for the perfect away team performance.
"The conditions, the lack of fans and in the first action that Wales had they showed a great move where it shows the quality that they have in individuals. We then had two choices, either accept it and then allow the performance to go away from you and it becomes an away game. Or you show personality and bravery and that's what the team did. They never accepted that the game would go away from us.
"We scored two very good goals from open play in the first half and then in the second half even though we didn't create many opportunities, every time we were in front of goal it looked like we had a chance to score. So very pleased by the incredible personality that the players showed today."
Belgium continue their qualifying campaign away to the Czech Republic on Saturday.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Pochettino hopeful of having Neymar available for Coupe de France final
- BARCELONA Barcelona secure 500 million euro loan from Goldman Sachs
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit 2021: is there a maximum number of children who can receive payments?
- Champions League Manchester City to pay fans' travel costs for Champions League final
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester United vs Fulham: live
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Barcelona's Champions League win boosts women's football in Spain