South Africa coach sacked after failure to qualify for AFCON
The South African Football Association decided to let go of the national team coach Molefi Ntseki as South Africa won't be partake in AFCON 2021.
South African Football Association (SAFA) decided to sack the national team coach Molefi Ntseki after the Bafana Bafana missed out on qualification for 2021 AFCON set to be held in Cameroon next January, having finished third in Group C behind Ghana and Sudan who secured the qualifying spots of the group.
(Safa) CEO Teboho Motlanthe announced the news at a press conference at Safa House in Nasrec on Wednesday in the wake of South Africa's 2-0 defeat to Sudan in the last round of qualifiers that left the team out of 2021 AFCON, whereas a draw with the Sudanese could have been enough for the Bafana Bafana to secure a berth in the tournament.
“The decision was taken at about 10 am. This was an NEC decision, it was taken in a round-robin,” said CEO Motlanthe.
🇩🇿 Algeria— CAF (@CAF_Online) March 31, 2021
🇧🇫 B. Faso
🇨🇻 C. Verde
🇨🇮 C. d'Ivoire
🇬🇶 E. Guinea
🇬🇼 G. Bissau
🇧🇯 or 🇸🇱#TotalAFCON 🏆 pic.twitter.com/vw9BzfSCgs
Defeat to Sudan ended hope for Bafana Bafana
South Africa earned 10 points from 3 wins, a draw, and 2 defeats, while Ghana managed to finish top of the group with 13 points, Sudan snatched the second qualification ticket of the group with their win over the South Africans on the last matchday of the qualifiers.
Ntseki used to be South Africa under-17 national team boss and was appointed to replace the head coach he was assistant to, Stuart Baxter, in late August 2019.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona feel cheated by Neymar
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Negotiations taking place over moving Champions League final to the UK
- Coronavirus Why do vaccines make you feel ill?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket: where it fell, in what country and what happened to remains of the Long March 5B
- LATEST NEWS Times Square shooting: what happened and who was shot?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket Long March 5B: why was it out of control and falling?