Liverpool condemn online racial abuse of trio after Madrid defeat
Liverpool have condemned the "abhorrent" racial abuse of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Naby Keita and Sadio Mane on social media after the trio were targeted following the UCL defeat by Real Madrid.
Liverpool on Wednesday condemned the "abhorrent" racial abuse of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Naby Keita and Sadio Mane on social media after the trio were targeted following Tuesday's 3-1 Champions League defeat by Real Madrid.
England defender Alexander-Arnold was sent monkey emojis on his latest Instagram post, while similar abuse was directed at Guinea midfielder Keita and Senegal forward Mane.
"Once again we are sadly discussing abhorrent racial abuse the morning after a football game. It is utterly unacceptable and it has to stop," Liverpool said in a statement.
It is utterly unacceptable. It has to stop. pic.twitter.com/ij8qykJjqU— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 7, 2021
"LFC condemns all forms of discrimination and we continue to work with our inclusion partners through our Red Together initiative to campaign against it."
English soccer's governing bodies have urged social media companies to tackle the problem of online abuse in the wake of racist messages aimed at players, including Manchester United's Axel Tuanzebe, Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial and Arsenal's Willian and Eddie Nketiah.
Instagram has announced a series of measures while Twitter has promised to continue its efforts after taking action on more than 700 cases of abuse related to soccer in Britain in 2019.
Liverpool said they would work with the relevant authorities to identify the users responsible for the messages.
"As a club, we will offer our players any and all support that they may require," the Premier League champions said. "We will also work... to identify and, if possible, prosecute those responsible.
"We know this will not be enough until strongest possible measures are taken by platforms and regulatory bodies which govern them. The current situation cannot be allowed to continue."
Last month, former Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry deleted his social media accounts to protest against the platforms for not taking action against anonymous account holders who are guilty of racism and bullying online.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci statements, My Turn...
- ROYAL FAMILY Prince Philip Funeral: what happened at the Duke of Edinburgh's Windsor ceremony?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 Golden State Stimulus check: when are they being sent?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check for veterans: how to track and claim a missing payment
- MLS Carlos Vela gets mad at Bob Bradley for taking him off too early