CR Belouizdad into quarter-finals as Al Hilal exit CAF Champions League
The Algerian side claimed a precious away victory over Mamelodi Sundowns, meanwhile Al Hilal see off the tournament with a loss to Mazembe.
Algerian club CR Belouizdad managed to secure the second spot in Group B of the CAF Champions League to guarantee their qualification for the tournament's quarter-finals. They snatched a 2-0 away win over group leaders Mamelodi Sundowns taking them to nine points, four behind.
CR Belouizdad delivered one of their finest displays in the competition this season with goals from Amir Sayoud and Ahmed Gasmi in the 13th and 45th minutes respectively sealing their qualification.
Meanwhile, Al Hilal, who were battling the Algerian side for the second qualifying spot in the group, went down 2-1 to their hosts Mazembe to lose their last hope of making it any further in the tournament. They dropped into fourth place in the standings with only four points, one behind their opponents.
Two more teams to complete the quarter-final line-up
CR Belouizdad are the sixth team to join the CAF Champions League quarter-final line-up with the two second-placed teams from groups C and D to be decided on Saturday.
Horoya and the Kaizer Chiefs of Group C are vying for the second quarter-final qualifying spot with both level on eight points, while MC Alger and Zamalek are hoping to follow the lead of Esperance Sportive in Group D and secure the other quarter-final place.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Pochettino hopeful of having Neymar available for Coupe de France final
- BARCELONA Barcelona secure 500 million euro loan from Goldman Sachs
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit 2021: is there a maximum number of children who can receive payments?
- Champions League Manchester City to pay fans' travel costs for Champions League final
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester United vs Fulham: live
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Barcelona's Champions League win boosts women's football in Spain