Olazábal dedicates Masters cut to late compatriot Ballesteros
Olazabal dedicated his look to fellow Spaniard Seve Ballesteros on what would have been the late, great's 64th birthday.
José María Olazábal turned back the clock to make the cut at the Masters at the age of 55 on Friday, dedicating his wardrobe to fellow Spaniard Seve Ballesteros on what would have been the late, great's 64th birthday.
Olazábal, the 1994 and 1999 champion at Augusta National, used his guile and renowned short game to card a second-round 71 for a two-over-par 146 halfway total. "I am wearing navy blue and white, which are the colors of Seve and today would be his birthday," said Olazábal.
"Seve estaría orgulloso. Lo que echo en falta en un día como hoy es no tenerle aquí y no poder abrazarnos". Olazabal, visiblemente emocionado tras superar el corte. #AugustaEnMovistar pic.twitter.com/w9TRx0nuba— Golf en Movistar+ (@MovistarGolf) April 9, 2021
"I know that making the cut is not such an extraordinary thing, but I want to dedicate this accomplishment to him and all those people who have left us over the last year," Olazâbal continued, also mentioning his former manager Sergio Gomez who died last year. "I think Seve would be happy. I miss not having him here for a big hug. I'm a little emotional. I have to say wholeheartedly that making the cut has been a primary goal in recent years. When you see the years going by and you don't get it, it gets tough."
Ballesteros, winner of five major championships including two Masters, died of a brain tumor in 2011. He and fellow Spaniard Olazábal were the most successful duo in Ryder Cup history, bonding to form an almost unbeatable duo for Europe. They played together a record 15 times and won 12 points.
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGA MX Giovani dos Santos could leave Club América this summer
- Coronavirus US Coronavirus US: who has to wear a mask after the vaccine?
- WORLD NEWS What has Biden said about the possible ceasefire and conflict between Israel and Palestine?
- 2021 TAX SEASON Tax Filing 2021 deadline: is it possible to request an extension?
- 2021 TAX SEASON Tax Deadline 2021: what happens if you file taxes late?
- ENTERTAINMENT Who is Andrea Meza, winner of Miss Universe?