Atletico squad release European Super League statement
Koke led Atlético Madrid's players in "conveying our satifaction" about the club's decision to withdraw from the European Super League.
Atlético Madrid's players have released a statement to "convey our satisfaction" after the club withdrew from the European Super League.
Atlético were among 12 clubs who announced plans for the controversial new competition on Sunday. But the tournament – a rival to the Champions League but with guaranteed participation for its founding members – quickly came under scrutiny.
Anger from fans, players, coaches, governing bodies, governments and the media soon prompted England's 'big six' to back out. Atleti followed, along with Inter and Milan.
Koke, the Atleti captain, posted on his Twitter page on Wednesday: "From the Atlético Madrid squad, we want to convey our satisfaction about the final decision to renounce the Super League project made by our club.
"We will continue fighting to help Atleti grow from our position through the values of effort and sporting merit that have always characterised us, so that all of you continue to see yourself reflected in those signs of identity.
"We continue to work hard, focused on the game tomorrow."
Simeone: "Before being footballers and coaches, we are fans"
Speaking before Thursday's LaLiga clash with Huesca, Atleti coach Diego Simeone had earlier backed the club both in their decision to pursue the Super League and then to step back.
"I understood that the club was going to decide what was best for the club," he said. "The club has looked at our fans, employees, players, president – the Atlético family."
Simeone added: "We understand that this situation [the withdrawal] is good for everyone. We all belong to football – before being footballers and coaches, we are fans."
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: FDA approves Pfizer for 12-15 year olds, side effects, Indian variant...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $2,000 monthly stimulus, Golden State payment tracker, Child Tax Credit...
- Serie A Champions Inter Milan have 'serious financial problems' – Zanetti
- BARCELONA Neymar: Al-Khelaifi warns Barcelona not to push for Messi reunion
- NBA LeBron James injury: how long has he been out and how many games missed?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Who is Daniel Ek, the Spotify CEO who wants to buy Arsenal?