VILLARREAL 1-2 BARCELONA
Trigueros sending-off "is a clear red card offence"
Manu Trigueros was sent off on 64 minutes for a studs-high challenge on Messi. The incident was brutal enough to concern the Barcelona bench.
On 64 minutes of this afternoon's league meeting between Villarreal and Barcelona, Manu Trigeros slid into a 50:50 challenge for the ball but took out Leo Messi in the process - his studs digging into the Argentine's left ankle. Referee Carlos del Cerro Grande reached directly for his red card, while Messi writhed around in pain on the floor. Former referee Iturralde de González reviewed the incident on Cadena SER's Carrusel Deportivo programme: "It's a nasty challenge, that's a red card, but it is not intentional. It's dangerous play, no question about it. He gets the ball, but his foot is high and makes contact with Messi".
Barça ended up as winners thanks to two first-half goals from Antoine Griezmann. The first was a nonchalant dink over the keeper after being put through by Mingueza. The Frenchman's second of the afternoon came just a few minutes later when he pounced on the ball after a defensive mistake to rifle in the winner. Samu Chukwueze had put the hosts ahead on 25 minutes. The win means Barcelona are third, level on points with Real Madrid but with a game in hand. If they win all of their remaining games, Koeman's team will be dcelared champions
Te recomendamos en English
- FOURTH STIMULUS CHECK When could there be a new stimulus payment according to the experts?
- BARCELONA Official: Depay signs for Barcelona until June 2023
- FOOTBALL Kevin De Bruyne not too concerned by eye injury
- NBA NBA playoffs 2021: Mann 'not surprised' after taking Clippers to first Conference Final
- MLB Ohtani goes into Home Run Derby mode with two homers
- Euro 2020 Giroud makes history by gaining 100th cap for France